Dictionary.com Word of the Day

Friday, March 03, 2006

The Hombre 2006

Last weekend I, along with 12 of my fellow CAWS (Central Arkansas Warhammer Society) members traveled to the unlikely location of Killeen, TX for the Hombre, a Warhammer Indy GT tournament.

These tournaments are really just an excuse to play with little plastic and metal miniatures, ooh and ahh over the painting skills of some people, drink beer, and generally act juvenile. It is quite an interesting sub-culture; it's comprised of varying degrees of gamer geeks. Some of these guys are simply hardcore wargamers, some are enthusiastic modelers/painters, and some come to the game with a lengthy role-playing background. But we all enjoy rolling dice and having fun.

I played six games over the course of the weekend (1 pickup game and 5 tourney games), and went 4-2 (3-2 in the actual tourney). 3-2 continues to be my best showing at an Indy GT, which is getting a little frustrating, but I recently changed armies from Orcs and Goblins to High Elves in order to keep the game fresh and present me with a different set of challenges, both from the gaming and painting standpoints.

Here is a Flickr set of pictures I took during the weekend. I hope it helps explain the tourney scene.

No comments: