Dictionary.com Word of the Day

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

"Religion is a good thing for good people and a bad thing for bad people."

My education fails me when reading about or discussing political movements in an historical or philosophical context. Damn you, Hendrix College, for only requiring that I take one basic history class and one basic philosophy class (I took logic, which is not very helpful when discussing philosophy :) ).

This interview with Chris Hedges, the author of "American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War On America" gave me a serious case of the heebie jeebies. Hedges does not back away at all from his comparison of the Christian Right to fascism at its worst. I have personally witnessed some of the characteristics of the Christian Right alluded to in the interview, but it is hard to swallow Hedge's entire theory because it so damn scary to me.

Is our nation on the verge of a revolution I do not want? Am I really naïve to think that Democracy is on my side? Is the culture I cherish (good and the bad) in jeopardy? Should I swallow the blue pill or the red pill? The questions continue to erupt in my head.

All of these feelings are becoming more amplified as fatherhood draws nearer. Coincidence? Doubtful.

No comments: