Dictionary.com Word of the Day

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Pre-Thanksgiving Hunger

Warning, do not read this article if you are already starting to feel the pangs of hunger. It has absolutely got my mouth watering in anticipation of my mom's wonderful bread stuffing with apples, celery, and sage and also for my father-in-law's delicious oyster cornbread dressing. Two places, two meals in two days, two delightfully different approaches to Thanksgiving Dinner. Damn, I'm hungry. Tryptophan and high carbohydrate side dishes, you are the devil, a wonderful, happy, delectable devil, and I love you.

The New York Times > Dining & Wine > There's Only One Stuffing: Ask Any Cook

What's on the menu at my families' dinner tables for Thanksgiving, you might ask?

Mom--Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, pan-fried candied sweet potatoes, green bean casserole (my wife absolutely loathes this "old lady" church potluck dish), strawberry and cream cheese/nut ball jello salad (another dish loathed by my wife, but a childhood favorite of mine), and homemade pumpkin pie. Yum!

In-laws--Turkey, oyster cornbread dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, oven-baked sweet potatoes, green beans cooked with ham, a delicious green salad with fresh avocado, bread from this funky Italian bakery in Pittsburgh, Kansas, homemade mincemeat pie, and homemade pecan pie. Oh, and homemade wine, to boot.

I'm starting to cut back on my caloric intake already in anticipation of the most evil food weekend of the year.

Cheers!

No comments: