Dictionary.com Word of the Day

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Vet. Day

I sit here watching "Saving Private Ryan" on my fiancee's incredibly crappy small tv. It makes me remember that my grandfather served in WWII. He helped clean up concentration camps. He never spoke of what he saw, or did from that time. I'm also reminded my father served in Korea and my uncle in Vietnam. My family has a rather proud (albeit short compared to others) history of service, even if they refused to discuss the events (which under the situations, can't be blame).

I think even the most hardened left and right wingers should for certain days, set aside our fundamental differences to honor those veterans who served and those who still are. No, I still haven't changed my opinion on Iraq, or my conservative friend's misguided ideologies. But, I can take a day or two to sit back and honor those who deserve it.

In closing I have a quote for the huddled masses..

"Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it." - Mark Twain

No comments: